Amazing potato discovery!

Ok, I intentionally didn't do a post for Thanksgiving - taking a little time off, and wasn't planning on releasing the link until afterwards.  But I feel the need to share an amazing tip. 

My kids have always said I make the best mashed potatoes ever - and as long as you don't care about your heart health, I suppose I probably do - and I have my Mom to thank for that - mostly her recipe from when we were kids.  It's pretty simple - you can use regular, or red bliss with the skins on.  Dice the potatoes into inch and a half square pieces, put into a large pot, (at least big enough to have 2 or 3 inches above the potatoes and water) and rinse well.  Portion out the potatoes so each handful or so is a portion. ( not very scientific, but it seems to work.) Add enough water to easily cover the potatoes, add a 1/2 tsp salt, and boil until just able to break apart with a fork. Time depends entirely on how many potatoes you are cooking.   Drain, and return to the pan.  Add about 1 tbs of butter per serving (at LEAST), about a 1/4 cup of half and half per two servings ( Not too much, don't want them watery) about a heaping TBS ( a serving table spoon, not measuring)  of sour cream per serving, 4 or 5 twists of sea salt,  6 or 7 twists of fresh ground black pepper ( invest in a disposable pepper grinder - well worth it! - about 6 bucks for a pretty big one) and a 1/4 tsp of garlic powder per serving or so - go light on this unless you want them to be garlic mashed - which is totally fine in our house!  Mash by hand, leaving a little lumpy - use half and half or sour cream to regulate consistency and texture.  Add the liquids slowly at first, and add more as you mash to get the perfect consistency.

That is my recipe, but I have to thank Patrick, from work, and his girlfiend Dawn for suggesting adding cream cheese to the mix....  and my family says thanks too!

My initial thought was... hmm... maybe, but not convinced.  Well Thanksgiving, I went all in, and threw in a whole block for about 9 servings - and all I can say is WOW!!  TOTALLY amazing - very creamy, didn't make them too cheesy - just unbelievably creamy!  I would say about a 1/4 block per 2 servings would be perfect.

Thanks Dawn - definately going to be totally a part of the Price family potatoes in perpetuity!!

Keep in mind - all proportions are to taste - they may be too much or too little for your taste.  Feel free to experiment, and make the dish your own!

Other options:  I often add some dried rosemary crumbled up if we are having a steak - about a 1/2 tsp per 2 or 3 servings - add some extra garlic too.

Gorgonzola  or Bleu cheese - all I can say is YUM.  Again with steak, and better with Red Bliss potatoes smashed with the skin on  - I tend to go heavy - probably a 1/2 cup per 2 servings - but well worth it!

Fresh shaved Romano or Parmesan cheese, with a bit of basil.. about 1/4 cup per 2 servings, maybe a tsp of dried basil or so ( I have even added a very small pinch of crushed red peppers for a little spice)- serve with a nice steak (there seems to be a theme here with the mashed p's and a steak...  what can I say - like peanut butter and jelly!) or chicken dish, fresh tomatoe, basil and mozzarella cheese salad in the summer - awsome.

Just potatoes, I know, but so much fun to play with!  Thanks again, Dawn for the awsome tip!

Bon Appetit!

Comments

  1. You're quite welcome!!! I'm so glad everyone liked the taters!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Crispy Chicken Thighs, with Schmaltzy Viaigrette

Poached Coconut Curry Mahi Mahi with Mango Pineapple Salsa and Coconut Rice

A new tack - restaurant reviews!